Why do I need anti-virus software? Isn’t Linux virus-free?
For the most part, Linux is engineered in a fashion that makes it hard for viruses to run (click here for more info). Also, because more PCs currently run Windows, it is more worthwhile writing viruses for the Windows platform.
However, there are many reasons you might want a virus scanner on your Linux PC:
- to scan a Windows drive in your PC
- to scan a Windows-based network attached server or hard drive
- to scan Windows machines over a network
- to scan files you are going to send to other people
- to scan e-mail you are going to forward to other people
some Windows viruses can run with Wine.
- Linux virus infections are theoretically possible
Open Source Antivirus
Free version of commercial Antivirus
51 total views, 1 views today