Banshee 2.0 has been released! Banshee is a media player that allows you to play your music, videos, and other media media as well sync it with portable devices to take your media on the go. Banshee includes features to import your media, manage its metadata, and play your music and videos.
Banshee 2.0 is the culmination of six months’ work by 36 developers and dozens of translators, bug reporters, and testers. It is a stable release, the successor to Banshee 1.8. It has some exciting new features and lots of polish!
To install Banshee 2.0 open a Terminal window (Applications -> Accessories -> Termainal) and copy+paste the following lines:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:banshee-team/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
If you already have Banshee and the banshee-team ppa installed Banshee will be updated to the latest version when running a system update.
* Artist/Album Browser Track Actions
Track actions (play, queue, remove, delete, edit, properties)
now work for the artist and album browser too! Right click an
artist or album to act on it, or click an album and press ‘q’ to
* ‘Play After’ Queue Options
Want to listen to a track, album, or artist right after the playing
track, album, or artist? The ‘Play After’ option will insert it
into the queue to make it happen.
* User Interface Improvements
We have made several changes toward a cleaner and more usable UI.
We got rid of the active source’s title bar. Search is now beside
the volume button. The source list has smaller icons, hidden
counts for the libraries, and named group-separators. The seek
slider and search entry are resizable via their grips.
Podcasts episodes are now shown in a grid, with several lines of
description shown to help you find an appealing episode to enjoy.
* Ubuntu One Music Store and SoundMenu Extensions
These two extensions have been moved from Banshee Community
Extensions and are now core Banshee extensions.
Added support for embedded and external-file subtitles.
* Support Amazon Cloud Player browsing and downloading
* Remember sources’ column configuration
* ‘Shuffle by’ respects user-selected artist/album
* MultimediaKeys: Support Pause, FastForward, Rewind, Repeat and Shuffle
* Album grid has tooltips for ellipsized text
* MusicBrainz cover art search supports CDBaby and Jamendo
* Allow to clear the play queue while in Populate mode
* Add a new ‘Recently Played’ default smart playlist
* Blank track editor spin buttons when 0
* Remove Home and Photo folder import sources
* Improved write-metadata-to-file performance
* Many improvements and fixes to the F1 user guide
* Add support for handling u1ms:// links
* AmazonMp3.Store: amazon.ca support
* Daap: Keep a list of recently used remote servers
* Advertise lastfm scheme handling in the .desktop files
* MiroGuide: Handle Listen links from front page
* Playlists: Recognize m3u playlists without header (bgo#645351)
* LibraryWatcher: Guard against watching incorrect dirs (bgo#633309)
* Subscribe to Internet Archive searches as podcasts
* Massively rework the podcast edit dialog
* Add ‘Podcast Properties’ to episode menu
* WebOSDevice: Support playlists (bgo#641486)
* New Devices Supported:
– Huawei Ideos Android phones
– LG Ally phone
– LG Optimus S Android phone
– Nexus S and Xperia X10 mini pro
– Sharp IS01 and IS03 Android phones
– Sirius Alpha Android phone
* Add DBus method to clear the play queue
* MPRIS 2.0 support – DBus API
* Windows build (alpha-quality) now available
* Mac build (beta-quality) has been updated
325 total views, 5 views today